Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Scale of scale

Working in an office block today; "our water heater doesn't work, could you
have a look".

One of those instant 'make a cup of tea' things that delivers boiling water.
Heatrae Sadia Supreme 140 - holds 2.5 litres of water.

http://www.plumbnation.co.uk/site/he...static-casing/

Checked that power & water were going in, noticed a customer helpline number
inside the cover.

Very helpful. Explained the situation to the guy on the phone. "Its scaled
up" he said. Told me to take the top off the tank & remove the scale.

Never seen anything like it before, sheets of the stuff coming off.
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...s/Scale002.jpg shows
the amount of scale removed, not including the 60-70mm covering the element
in the bottom. Apart from the manual removal, I used 3 sachets of descaler
to get it clear.

Didn't realise until now they are around £570! Worth the repair cost.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk