Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Security post

John wrote:
A friend has asked me to install a security post at the end of his driveway,
the sort that lay down flat and lock. The problem is his drve is block
paving right up to the tarmac footpath apart from a drainage channel. I
have explained to him that the pavers are only a few inches thick and that
the post will act as a very good lever if somebody wanted to remove it (and
the pavers it will be bolted to)!! He says it is only really as a visual
deterrent. My question is are pavers hard to drill and will they split
under the pressure from a rawlbolt. The post has come with a tube of No
Nonsense Injection Resin and four 12mm x 100mm self cutting bolts. I
presume the resin will be a waste of time in this application and that the
bolts are too long, would this type of bolt (but shorter) be better than a
Rawlbolt. How thick are pavers 2 1/2" or so?

Cheers

Attaching a post to a block paviour is a waste of time, as has been
said. You can either lift some and get concrete down, or you can buy
posts specfically designed for paviours. These have a long metal
tongue that lies on the paving, thus they bolt to several blocks. I
doubt theyre at all secure though, could just be lifted off the ground
I expect.

You might be able to whack some steel bar into the ground instead of
digging, concreting and relaying the blocks, but I dunno how you'd
connect it to the post, nor how vandal proof it would be. I'd go with
a big heavy lump of concrete.

NT