Posted to alt.home.repair
Mortimer Schnerd, RN Mortimer Schnerd, RN is offline

Default I strained my back - OUCH

"olddog" wrote in message
I've had back problems literally all my life but nothing compared to your
agony. Good luck with that dude.

Chiropractors seem to be getting better and more doctors are accepting the
benefits of manipulation. My HMO in NM used to cover chiropractor visits in
their clinics. But you had to have a MD's referral/

Your accident is a good example of the need to get good x-rays examined by a
competent Osteopath before letting a Chiropractor do his thing. IMHO

I doubt very seriously that his back problem is anything more than simple
muscular strain. I know it hurts more than most things but the chances are
that's all there is to it. If you have them laying around the house alternate
pain killers with muscle relaxers. Get in the recliner or bed (whichever feels
better) and stay there. Plan on babying your back for at least a couple of
days, maybe longer. Don't stretch; don't exercise. REST.

OTOH, if you develop any numbness in your feet or legs you should get to a
doctor immediately. Do not put it off until tomorrow. You may not be able to
walk tomorrow.... and it might be permanent if you delay. Lightning bolts down
the leg don't qualify as an emergency; it's sciatic pain and can be treated at a
more leisurely pace.

Back problems fall in the overlap between neurosurgery and orthopedic surgery.
There is no consensus over who does the best work; it's more the man than the
specialty. Any practitioner worth a damn will be very reluctant to schedule any
surgery. The usual treatments involve painkillers, skeletal muscle relaxers,
and steroids such a Medrol dose packs. Hot showers feel great too.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com