Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Elbrecht Jim Elbrecht is offline

Default Wiring a furnace to run off an extension cord.

mm wrote:

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:46:12 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

My gas furnace is hard wired to the main panel. In the event of an
extended power outage in winter, I'd like to have the option to run it
off my small Honda generator. The only real electrical draw is the
small 110V blower motor.

JUst make sure you have a non-corroded flashlight and batteries,
because you're going to be finishing this job when there is no
electricity. At least I would be.

Unless he had a generator and a trouble light.g

Flashlights are still handy- but I was glad there was a plug in
shoplight right by my panel when I jury rigged mine up last Saturday.
Just got power back last night. Felt kinda weird working in the
entrance panel box with 120 light from the generator.

Another caution that I might have skimmed over as I've read this
thread--- [and why the double pole double throw switch is a good
idea. Make damn sure you don't leave any connection back to the
grid. Not only will it fry your generator if the power comes back-
it creates a dangerous situation for the guys working on the lines.

Jim