Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] fictitiousemail@gmail.com is offline

Default Security post

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:44:03 +0000, Tim S wrote:

John coughed up some electrons that declared:

A friend has asked me to install a security post at the end of his
driveway,
the sort that lay down flat and lock. The problem is his drve is block
paving right up to the tarmac footpath apart from a drainage channel. I
have explained to him that the pavers are only a few inches thick and that
the post will act as a very good lever if somebody wanted to remove it
(and
the pavers it will be bolted to)!! He says it is only really as a visual
deterrent. My question is are pavers hard to drill and will they split
under the pressure from a rawlbolt. The post has come with a tube of No
Nonsense Injection Resin and four 12mm x 100mm self cutting bolts. I
presume the resin will be a waste of time in this application and that the
bolts are too long, would this type of bolt (but shorter) be better than a
Rawlbolt. How thick are pavers 2 1/2" or so?

Cheers

John

You're right about bolting to the blocks - if they're bedded on sand
(common), a minor knock on the post is going to lift out the one(s) it's
bolted to.

Couldn't you remove a few blocks, dig a foot deep hole, fill with concrete
and put the blocks back on top. Then bolt right through? The weight of the
block and the friction with the ground ought to be enough.

Another alternative for less concrete and less blocks up might be to take
out 2, bang a metpost or 3-4 bits of iron bar into the ground and set a
small block of strong concrete about 3-4" thick round the top, then blocks
back and bolt through.

By bolting through the blocks you wont have any expansive load on them.

And you could just set threaded rod into the concrete to mount the post -
one less drilling operation. Put blocks with holes drilled back as soon as
you pour the concrete along with threaded rod. A bend at the end of the rod
in the concrete will help assure it's held OK. Wait a week then bolt post
on.

Cheers

Tim
Cheers

Tim

And tell him to watch he doesn't drive over the protruding bolt
meantime !!!

PS.When you post a reply to this the Newsgroups are shown as
free.uk.diy.home I wondered why my previous reply didn't appear .Had
to change it to uk.d-i-y

What's that all about?