Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_2_] Steve W.[_2_] is offline

Default OT fuel system anti-freeze

Steve Ackman wrote:
In , on Sun, 14 Dec 2008
20:37:24 -0500, , wrote:
On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:11:06 -0500, Steve Ackman
wrote:

In , on Fri, 12 Dec
2008 21:58:20 -0500, Joseph Gwinn,
wrote:

Of all the alcohols, only ethyl is not poisonous.
Propylene glycol is used as an ingredient in food.
Carries GRAS rating by the FDA.

ANd propelene Glycol is not technically an alcohol, is it? (I looked
it up - it IS a diol alcohol It is more like a modified mineral oil
and is not ACCUTELY toxic.

So, a diol alcohol isn't an alcohol? Isn't that kind
of like saying a latex paint isn't technically a paint?

As to toxicity... again, the FDA classifies it
"Generally Regarded As Safe" so, yeah, pretty much
"not poisonous" as long as you don't overdo it... like
regular spirits. As someone else mentioned, *everything*
is poisonous if the dose is large enough.

My most intimate knowledge of propylene glycol is as
the carrier for almost all coffee flavorings. That
French Vanilla or Hazlenut Supreme flavored coffee
you get from the coffee shop almost certainly contains
propylene glycol.

It's also the primary flavor carrier in Mountain Dew.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York