Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Electrolytics question - update

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
flipper wrote:
"Peter Hucker" wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Peter Hucker wrote:

Maybe he is ioncompetant. I have zero problems with Vista.

Aside from the fact it runs slower than XP on the same hardware

You're not supposed to put newer software on old equipment. Memory
is
cheap, just add some.

So much for Microsoft's marketing strategy of selling upgrade
versions, eh?

Under your theory, what is the point of buying faster hardware to run
slower software so you end up where you started?

I think you hit the nail on the head there. Pay more for worse.

When the opportunity arises I'd like to convert whatever company I end
up
as Senior Designer for
again (or better) to Linux. Free O/S, free Apps.

You can try this 'conversion' Graham, but I fear that your endeavours
will
fail due to many of the staff - particularly the female ones - refusing
grow a beard, wear open-toed sandals, and ride a bike to work ...
:-)

I've done a trial Ubuntu install. Seemed little different to Windows to
use.

Graham

You know Graham, I've never been a Gates / MS / Windoze basher. A lot of the
flak that they take seems to come from people not liking the fact that they
tied the market up, and make squillions of dollars a day. OK, so maybe there
was something better than Windows just waiting to come on the market, and
maybe Gates and co did stop it by working to make Windows the dominant OS
worldwide, but looking at it the other way, it has got to have done more to
'standardise' the world of home (and business) computing, and to make it
practical and affordable to the whole world at large, than any other factor
which has had an influence. I actually admire Gates, and really couldn't
care less if his house is built from stacks of $100 bills.

As far as Windows itself goes, yes. Of course it has problems crashing and
what-have-you from time to time, but in my experience, which goes back to
the first releases of 3.1, I have found it in general to be a pretty good OS
that for the most part, does what it says on the can. Most of the people
that I know who have problems with it, and bleat loudly about what rubbish
it is, are 'tinkerers' who are always fiddling with settings that they don't
understand, or installing and uninstalling bits of dubious pedigree free
software applications that they've found on the 'net. These are the people
who always seem to be having to reformat their hard drives, or reinstal
Windows. I don't think that I have ever had to RE format an HD in my life,
nor re-install Windows on any of the many machines I've owned.

For sure, some of the patches that MS bring out to try to resolve issues,
seem to cause others, but I think that it has to be remembered that it is an
immensely complex piece of software with a million 'moving parts' - the
software equivalent of the Space Shuttle, perhaps. Many of the patches that
MS have to produce, are to plug security holes, and they wouldn't need to be
having to waste their time on this, if the world wasn't full of tow rags in
university who have little better to do with their sad lives than cause
mischief to the very people who are sponsoring them to be there, and
criminals hell bent on stealing your details and emptying your bank account.
It must be soul destroying for the Windows coders to have to keep altering
everything they write, just to try to stay one step ahead of these people.

So for all its shortcomings and foibles, I for one am glad that Windows
exists. I am glad that I can buy just about any piece of software anywhere
in the world, and it will 99.9% run as it was intended. I am glad that I can
buy just about any piece of external hardware, plug it into a USB socket,
and Windows will find it and install it with little if any intervention from
me. I am glad that I can fit just about any piece of internal hardware, and
Windows will find it, and install an appropriate driver from its own
library, or if there is not one, will happily work with one written by the
makers of that hardware.

And if for all this user-friendly functionality, I have to suffer the
occasional 'blue screen of death' then I think that's a pretty small price
to pay for the general 'always there and ready to roll' service that it
gives as an OS, for almost 100% of the time ...

Arfa