Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Batteries (was Wiring a furnace to run off an extension cord.)

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 00:00:02 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 22:21:50 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 14:51:49 -0800, James Sweet
wrote:

The other set, in the fridge since last January, were still 1.24 or
1.26 volts when I took them out last week.

NiCads loose about 20%? charge per month - they are USELESS for
standby power apps where they sit unused for months, and are then
expected to work.

They do, and so do conventional NiMH batteries, but there is a new breed
that does not suffer from this problem. Look up Sanyo Eneloop, there are

I don't think that describes mine, even though mine kept their charge
for 9 or 10 months in the fridge. I bought them a year ago. I don't
know if that is older than the new breed. This is all it says on the
label:

They are GP2000 series, made in Malaysia, product of Gold Peak Group,
www.gpbatteries.com.hk

200AAHC, 1.2V typical 1950mAH

Standard charge 16 hours at 190ma.

I bought the camera and the batteries while traveling, not in America.

a number of clones, known as low self discharge, hybrid, etc. I've been
using mostly Eneloops in my stuff and they live up to their claims, and
will hold roughly 85% charge over a year of sitting. I've heard some
others are about the same, only ones I've had any real negative
experience with were Tenergy, they're cheap, but worthless.

And the only Gold Peak batteries I've ever owned were absolute trash.
Mabee if they were kept in the fridge instead of used mine might have
lasted longer??

Maybe.

OTOH all I know is that they didn't lose a charge in the last 10 or 11
months.

I bought the camera about a year ago, and only used it daily for about
2 weeks, and then a day or two 2 weeks later. I'm not sure I ran this
set of batteries down more than once. (Because when i bought a
separate recharger, I ended up with two sets.

So I still don't know how many times I'll be able to recharge them,
and I'll never know, because this is not the kind of thing I'll
remember. And since I ended up buying a second smaller, cheaper
digital camera, that I use far more often, with a different kind of
battery, I may only charge these AA batteries once a year and if they
only last say 4 charges, i won't know if that is because they weren't
good batteries or because they're 4 years old.

Now if they take 10 full charges over ten years, I guess we'd all call
them good, but I won't be able to tell you that for another 9 years.