Posted to alt.home.repair
James Sweet[_2_] James Sweet[_2_] is offline

Default Wiring a furnace to run off an extension cord.

Steve Barker DLT wrote:
just a regular old grounded pigtail and a standard outlet will do just fine.
That's the way my HVAC guy installs all furnaces. That way the plug serves
as the disconnect required to be within vision of the furnace serviceman.

Furnaces around here are all wired with armored flex, usually a standard
light switch in a box on the side as a disconnect. I see no safety issue
with using a pigtail plugged into a receptacle to power the furnace, but
local codes may say otherwise, it's worth checking.