Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat[_5_] Pat[_5_] is offline

Default Building kitchen cupboards. Drawer slide advice requested.

"LdB" wrote in message
The foundation was poured by a contractor in the summer of 02. I've done
almost all the rest of the building myself with help from my son and
friends.

Below is a link to some photos of the place.

http://www.granite.mb.ca/~lorence/

I retired last year and moved in to a somewhat unfinished interior.

Good enough for an old bachelor and a few critters but not quite complete
in the eyes of my new significant other.

I'm about to start the kitchen cupboards. I've done a few small cabinetry
projects in the past with reasonable success. This will be the biggest I
have ever attempted.

I've drawn up the plans, have the time, wood, tools, ambition and just
enough knowledge to make me dangerous.

I am considering ordering drawer slides from Lee Valley. They have several
choices with a significant price difference.

Having been a Lee Vally customer for many years I believe their products
are of good or better than average quality. I have no doubt that their
cheapest drawer slides will be adequate for the job I'm doing or they
wouldn't sell them.

What makes the top end slides worth the extra money?

Are the Tandem plus slides

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...614,43616&ap=1

that much better than these?

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...614,43616&ap=1

Are the Blumotion dampers on Tandem slides worth the additional ten
dollars a pair.

I could drive into town and get slides at Home Depot for a lot less but I
doubt they will give me a lifetime guarantee.

I really don't know what to expect with these products. I have limited
experience with them other than to say I have opened and closed drawers
with sliders. I have also opened and closed drawers without sliders.

Any advice would be appreciated.

LdB

I built my house and cabinets 20 years ago. I didn't make the drawers and
simply installed cupboard doors over the openings. Worked fine until a
woman moved in recently. I have been busy making about 60 drawers since.
Home Depot slides were fine for me.

My slides were good for 75 pounds. The slides you are considering carry 100
pounds. They also are full extension where as mine are not. The Tandem
Plus slides have only a 3/8" gap at the sides compared to a more normal 1/2"
gap. They would not be my choice for a face frame cabinet which is the type
of cabinet I build. The lifetime guarantee may not mean much.