Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Batteries (was Wiring a furnace to run off an extension cord.)

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 17:33:16 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:56:48 -0500, mm
wrote:

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:05:21 -0800, James Sweet
wrote:

Rechargeable batteries have a lower nominal voltage than alkalines, for
some things this is a problem, for others it is not, and more things
these days are made with rechargeable batteries in mind. In my own
experience, they last longer in things like cameras, but it depends on
the nature of the load. The big advantage is when they go dead, you pop
them in the charger and use them again over and over, I'd be perfectly
willing to sacrifice some run time for that. Environmentally better than
tossing out piles of dead alkalines as well.

Yeah, the AA are 1.2 volts and the batteries-in-camera plug-in charger
(not included) is supposed to be 5 volts for 4 of them. If I
eventually try to use these in a penlight, I don't suppose they will
work. Not enough voltage.

I don't remember how dead they were when I stopped using the camera
last Jan. or Feb, but on election day, they were totally dead. They
seemed to charge up fine but I haven't tried to use them or to measure
their voltage.

The other set, in the fridge since last January, were still 1.24 or
1.26 volts when I took them out last week.

NiCads loose about 20%? charge per month - they are USELESS for
standby power apps where they sit unused for months, and are then
expected to work.

Mine were NiMH. That's what the camera shop was pushing.