Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to GLUE metal floor and ceiling tracks to concrete

doug wrote:
Why Glue?

I live in a condo.

I plan to do the work myself

The condo rules say that I must get permission if I invade the ceiling
or floors or the walls of the ajoining units.

This would mean:

* hiring it done

* getting a building permit

* hiring a electrical contractor

* maybe even a architect plan

I do not need to invade the walls of the adjoining units and will
secure the abuting walls with screws.

Hopfully I can get by telling them that I am not invading the walls,
ceiling and floor as well as I am doing the work myself

Thanks

Doug Clark

BTDT, dividing off an 'L' end of a living room in a rental, to make an
extra bedroom. Just made a 'jam fit' wall, shimmed as tight as I could
against the floor and ceiling. Used non-marking rubber over the top
plate, and just went over the existing carpet. Managed to find a pretty
good match for the 1960s style paneling, so it vanished pretty well.
Came out clean- once the carpet divot was brushed out, you could not
tell it had been there. It was only 8' high by about 10' long, though.
Not sure you could pull off the same thing with metal studs and plates,
since you can't kick the slightly-too long end studs into place. Maybe
if you bury some extra-long skinny screw jacks in the wall every 8 feet
or so?

No, it won't meet code, but if that really isn't a concern where you
live, it may work. (as long as nobody stumbles too hard into the middle
of the wall.) A couple short cross walls framing some shelves or
something would stiffen it up a bunch.
--
aem sends...