Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT fuel system anti-freeze

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:31:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

On Dec 12, 3:23Â*pm, "Bill Marrs" wrote:
So I'm doing my regular winter maintenance on the rolling stock. Â*Check
Â*anti-freeze, get the cold weather windshield washer fluid in, etc. Â*We have
Â*a stretch of cold for here weather coming up----mid teens to 20's----and it
got me motivated.

Part of the regimen has always been to toss in a jug of fuel system water
remover/anti-freeze. HEET or whatever is on sale.
Recently the powers that be mandated that we run a Â*gas/ethanol blend year
round. Â*Makes the corn farmers happy I guess. Â* If I'm running 10% ethanol,
the fuel system anti-freeze is redundant--correct? Â*AFAIK all the stuff is
is ethanol? Â*Or is there something here that I'm not seeing?

Bill

I think its still a good idea, the fuel anti-freeze is typically
methanol or isopropyl alcohol, which will get any water out better
than ethanol will.

Being topped off (full tank) before a large swing down in temps is
always the best preventative measure.

Dave

NO methanol in fuel injected engines. PLEASE.