Posted to alt.home.repair
James Sweet[_2_] James Sweet[_2_] is offline

Default Wiring a furnace to run off an extension cord.

mm wrote:
On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 07:46:12 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

My gas furnace is hard wired to the main panel. In the event of an
extended power outage in winter, I'd like to have the option to run it
off my small Honda generator. The only real electrical draw is the
small 110V blower motor.

JUst make sure you have a non-corroded flashlight and batteries,
because you're going to be finishing this job when there is no
electricity. At least I would be.

I've found that alkaline batteries and even carbon-zinc flashlight
batteries last for years when I don't use them, or only use them when
I'm actually looking at something. But 2 or 3 years stretches into 5
years pretty easily. And I don't think my flashlight batteries have
ever lasted longer than 5 or 6 years.

I keep my batteries, film, long candles, drugs, and paint dispensers**
in my fridge. **They have those paint brushes and rollers that suck
the paint into the handle. I used to clean every night, but I found I
could just put the thing in the refrigerator and it was good the next
day, even several days later.

I've sure had a lot of alkaline batteries leak, seems worse in the last
several years. Have had several Maglites ruined by leaks, if you can get
the batteries out the manufacture will usually pay for the damaged item.
I'm hoping the eneloop rechargeables I use now will hold up better.
Lithium is a good option for emergency flashlights too, they rarely leak.