Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Groh Charlie Groh is offline

Default OT - Is it really worth saving any more?

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 19:52:48 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"Charlie Groh" wrote:

OK...I have 6 decades down and hopefully a couple or three to
go...grew up in wonderful Orange County, CA...Dismaland, you know,
the
Tragic Kingdom. Pretty idyllic growing up...not so now, but
livable,
yanno?

These days, you would be lucky to have access to the shooting range on
Katella ave.

....nope, walk right in, brother...

snip
.... I
mentioned earlier, yup.) and didn't own a handgun until 3 years
ago...'cause it helps me feel like I can protect myself and my
property.

Ah yes, the clash between perception and reality.

....need a little more here...is not my perception reality? I know we
have different takes and all...

Since I have a few years on you, BTDT (keep the T-Shirt), I'll offer
the following:

....I would counter with the thought that it's not "reality" to try to
compare experience...

The brain still thinks you are an 18 year old stud.

Totally invincible.

OTOH, the body tells a different story.

....just got through dealing with 300 others of my age group trying to
relive a very physical and wonderful part of our lives...believe me
when I say I know of what you speak...

The reflexes are not totally shot, but you have lost a couple of
steps.

....true, but I stay strong (carpenter by trade and still do things
that require strength) and agile...last marathon was 2 years ago and
still under 5 hours (actually under 4, but I missed a turn! LOL)...

Faced with a confrontational situation with some dumb 20 year old
hoodlum, you would be lucky if he didn't take your pea shooter away
from you and put it where the moon doesn't shine before you knew what
happened.

I don't think I would be lucky, my friend...I think I would be
prepared. That said, I'm not out looking for confrontation, but if it
comes to my doorstep it'd better be ready to learn how to fly... the
hard way.

Attitude has a lot to do with self-preservation, would you agree to
that?

Father time is not kind.

....time is what you make of it, neh?

cg

As my mother often said, "...time brings changes we must learn to
accept."

Lew