Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default OT fuel system anti-freeze

In article ,
Brian Lawson wrote:

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 20:23:11 GMT, "Bill Marrs"
wrote:

So I'm doing my regular winter maintenance on the rolling stock. Check
anti-freeze, get the cold weather windshield washer fluid in, etc. We have
a stretch of cold for here weather coming up----mid teens to 20's----and it
got me motivated.

Part of the regimen has always been to toss in a jug of fuel system water
remover/anti-freeze. HEET or whatever is on sale.
Recently the powers that be mandated that we run a gas/ethanol blend year
round. Makes the corn farmers happy I guess. If I'm running 10% ethanol,
the fuel system anti-freeze is redundant--correct? AFAIK all the stuff is
is ethanol? Or is there something here that I'm not seeing?

Bill

I don't know, but the gas-line anti-freeze stuff we get here is said
to be Methyl Hydrate. Is that Ethanol?

Most gas-line antifreeze is methyl alcohol (methanol).

Some is isopropyl alcohol.

I've never seen ethyl alcohol (ethanol) used, but it would work.

The poison warning usually tells which it is.

Joe Gwinn