Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Lesher David Lesher is offline

Default OT fuel system anti-freeze

Wes writes:

Someone told me that pipelines often pick up water and the alky sucks it up but I've never
tracked it down to understand if this is bs or truth. A quick google shows that water
often exists in pipelines but I didn't find the reason why.

Some of the water leaks into the tanks. They are really hollow cylinders
with a floating plug that seals on the edges. There's also now a roof
like an umbrella. Before they were required, rain/snow would fill the
space above the floating roof.

Some of it was came from the refinery; crude has water in it.

The SOP is the gasoline/Diesel sits in a tank for X days, and the water settles
out. Then the operator manually opens the bottom-most valve, the water draw,
and observes the water exiting. He stops when he sees products.

The alcohol is added when the gasoline is loaded into trucks; it's not
carried by the pipeline at all. Of course, the station's underground tanks
may well leak, and there's always condensation...

--
A host is a host from coast to