Posted to rec.woodworking
Curran Copeland Curran Copeland is offline

Default If you make toys...

.

I just got off the phone with the USCPA and in a nut shell I'm screwed.
This act will only cover items made for children, ALL ITEMS MADE FOR
CHILDREN, and has NO exemptions at this time. Any item that is made for
child is covered and will have to be tested. by a third party. The only
light at the end of the tunnel is that they are considering a compliance
for
small business that may be less stringent but at this time it is not in
effect. Even when it goes into effect if it does it will mean a lot of
paperwork.

I don't suppose a "For Adult use only" sticker would work . . .

I know there are lots of interesting disclaimers on products that seem
only there to avoid lawsuits or to dodge some regulation. For example,
check out any box of Q-tips to learn that you are not ever supposed to
use them in your ears. Seriously, it's on every box, and even on the
generic brands.

Just idly speculating. I don't make toys for sale.

Bill Ranck
Blacsburg, Va.

Since the toys I make are old style and could be considered for the
collectors market, I know some people who buy them strictly for decoration,
I am thinking about it, I am going to have to check with a lawer and see if
it would make a difference. I thilnk I might be on thin ice with it but
it's worth a look. Thanks to you and baslisk for the idea