Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] ranck@vt.edu is offline

Default If you make toys...

Curran Copeland wrote:

wrote in message
In August the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act was passed as a
reaction to the wonderful garbage China has been sending us in the
form of lead painted toys. Unfortunately Uncle Sam, in all his
infinite wisdom, has overreacted with a law that it is completely
impossible for any small business (that's you) to comply with. I
know, you're shocked.

I just got off the phone with the USCPA and in a nut shell I'm screwed.
This act will only cover items made for children, ALL ITEMS MADE FOR
CHILDREN, and has NO exemptions at this time. Any item that is made for a
child is covered and will have to be tested. by a third party. The only
light at the end of the tunnel is that they are considering a compliance for
small business that may be less stringent but at this time it is not in
effect. Even when it goes into effect if it does it will mean a lot of
paperwork.

I don't suppose a "For Adult use only" sticker would work . . .

I know there are lots of interesting disclaimers on products that seem
only there to avoid lawsuits or to dodge some regulation. For example,
check out any box of Q-tips to learn that you are not ever supposed to
use them in your ears. Seriously, it's on every box, and even on the
generic brands.

Just idly speculating. I don't make toys for sale.

Bill Ranck
Blacsburg, Va.