Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MikeG[_2_] MikeG[_2_] is offline

Default Bridgeport milling questions

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:53:19 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

MikeG wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 11:42:53 +0000, David Billington
wrote:

snip

Hi David,

Many thanks for your detailed reply. I have noted your comments.

I've used the screw shank cutters and holder before but I didn't know
the correct name for them - thanks. Looking on the web, the autolock
inserts appear to be threaded but the ones supplied with my machine
aren't. They just slip into the holder and are held in place by the
retaining collar, tightened by a spanner. Is this still a "Clarkson
autolock"?

Mike,

I jumped to the conclusion you had a Clarkson autolock holder when
you said threaded shank cutters but was wrong by the sound of it. Have a
look here for some different collet types.
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Collets . At a guess I might
think you have an ER collet holder as they don't have threads in them
and are quite common, see
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalo...-Collet-Chucks .

The engineer who was showing me the ropes recommended that the screwed
end of the cutter protrude slightly (maybe 1mm+) from the end of the
holder before it was inserted into the sleeve and tightened. Is this
correct?

Sounds good.

I haven't managed to break anything yet and I'm keen to keep it that
way!

Always a good strategy.

Cheers,

Dave

Kind regards,
Mike

Hi Dave

Again, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I may have fed you a bum steer with my description of the collet - I
think it is a Clarkson Autolock - this is link to a picture.

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/Collet.jpg

As an aside, please could you confirm that this is a "J" type head?

http://www.mgarner.co.uk/Bridgeport.jpg

Thanks & kind regards,
Mike