Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default How to cut a 1/4" slot through a 1-1/4" rod?

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008 06:53:34 -0800 (PST), the infamous andy
scrawled the following:

I read an in-depth article in Professional Boatbuilder magazine about
rudder design. They talk about different foil types and effeciency
and all sorts of stuff. My original plan was to make a bronze
armature over which a white cedar core would be epoxied and faired to
a foil shape. Cover the whole lot with fiberglass, and you have a
rudder.

I have since spoken with a very knowlegeable gentleman from a
propeller shop in Portsmouth NH. He says that he works with a lot of
the racing lobsterboats from Maine. He tells me that the fastest
rudder is a flat plate and to not waste my time with the foil shape.

That's pure BS. The fastest rudder is a steerable jet. vbg

But I can see smoothing the leading and trailing edges of the rudder
to reduce drag and turbulence if you're racing. The magazines and boat
building shops are prone to marketing hype. I'd trust the prop guy.

--
At current market valuations (GM is worth less than Mattel)
the Chinese government can afford to buy GM with petty cash.