Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY English

robgraham wrote:
On 10 Dec, 11:11, Osprey wrote:
On 10 Dec, 07:13, TheOldFellow wrote:

I note an exasperating trend on this list, and on t'internet in general,
to personal reinvention of English spelling and grammar. For
instance: the Whitworth spellings for the various flavours of 'your and
you're' (as opposed to the UNF or Metric, of course) are as follows:
'You're' means 'you are', 'your' never ever means that.
'Your' is a possessive pronoun, and can only be used when you mean that
something belongs to 'you'.
Do try and get it right folks, as the grating sounds of the
crossed-threads in my brain are getting irritating.
R.

I'm Welsh so have my excuse over any English inaccuracies.

To be honest ... does it matter, this is a DIY site, and as long as
the text conveys the general gist of the meaning, and all can
understand ... it hardly matters ?

We even have totally different words for things depending on
geographic areas .... (noggins, dwangs etc) ... a stray or
misplaced apostrophe is not that important.

Some people thrive in finding fault in the work of others, please
consider any errors in my posts put there specifically for that
purpose.

I'm not a pedant and I'm certainly not suggesting that this thread
comes out of pedancy,

pedantry ;-)

but one thing I consider applies to all
dedicated DIY'ers is that they are usually people who have an eye for
quality and like to do things so that they look good and last.

Personally if someone writes in with a badly worded/spelt/grammarised
posting, I very quickly start to get annoyed by it and in the end will
usually end up considering it a load of trash. The quality of your
advice comes through in how well you dispense it and that includes
going through your posting and checking the spelling, etc.

Rob (having gone through this and found several errors)

And missed one, I think.