Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Garage Extension, is it possible? (Planning Guidlines)

I have a Garage detached from my house and a long drive that runs
infront of it along side the side of my house. I have been considering
wether or not i could extend the garage by building another garage of
the same size infront of it of equal size.

The outer wall of the extension would be running parallel with my
nighbours fence however as it is a single story extension and does not
breach the boundary it would not change the view dramatically or block
light for my neighbour, so i wouldnt anticipate any objections from
her.

My question is when building an extension does it have to be a certain
distance away from the boundary line?

I don't think so, as long as it's built with incombustible materials. Have a
word with your local planners - and building inspectors while you're at it.
If you go to your local council offices, they should have duty officers (of
both sorts) who will give you informal advice to get you started.
--
Cheers,
Roger