Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage Extension, is it possible? (Planning Guidlines)

I have a Garage detached from my house and a long drive that runs
infront of it along side the side of my house. I have been considering
wether or not i could extend the garage by building another garage of
the same size infront of it of equal size.

The outer wall of the extension would be running parallel with my
nighbours fence however as it is a single story extension and does not
breach the boundary it would not change the view dramatically or block
light for my neighbour, so i wouldnt anticipate any objections from
her.

My question is when building an extension does it have to be a certain
distance away from the boundary line?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from " contains
these words:

I have a Garage detached from my house and a long drive that runs
infront of it along side the side of my house. I have been considering
wether or not i could extend the garage by building another garage of
the same size infront of it of equal size.

The outer wall of the extension would be running parallel with my
nighbours fence however as it is a single story extension and does not
breach the boundary it would not change the view dramatically or block
light for my neighbour, so i wouldnt anticipate any objections from
her.

My question is when building an extension does it have to be a certain
distance away from the boundary line?

It doesn't have to be and if your neighbour doesn't object why should
the planners?

What might be an issue is if the new garage is closer to the road than
the house and in front of the building line.

Building close to a boundary raises certain building regulations issues
but that is another matter.

--
Roger Chapman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Dec, 16:24, "
wrote:
I have a Garage detached from my house and a long drive that runs
infront of it along side the side of my house. I have been considering
wether or not i could extend the garage by building another garage of
the same size infront of it of equal size.

The outer wall of the extension would be running parallel with my
nighbours fence however as it is a single story extension and does not
breach the boundary it would not change the view dramatically or block
light for my neighbour, so i wouldn't anticipate any objections from
her.

My question is when building an extension does it have to be a certain
distance away from the boundary line?

There is permitted development ... where you can build without
permission ...
Schedule 2 Part 1 Class E of The Town and Country Planning (General
permitted Development) order 1995

This has to be 5m away form house, not in front of building line, non-
habitable and no more than 4 m in height, and is used or purpose
incidental to the enjoyment of the existing dewllinghouse.

You do need to apply for Building Regs though, and have normal BCO
inspections.

I have just built an 8m x 7m garage & boat shed under this ruling.

So if you can meet requirements ... you are OK.

If you cannot meet the guidelines, then you have to apply for planning
permission.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the advice chaps!