Posted to rec.woodworking
David Merrill David Merrill is offline

Default Gun Checkering

Just about the age when I was allowed to buy my first .22 rifle, a Mossberg
bolt action. I eventually refinished the stock with a hand rubbed oil
finish that came out beautifully; didn't attempt checkering, though bought a
checkering tool and was working up the nerve to attempt it. Ended up
employed as a research engineer for Winchester for 26 years starting in 1964
(the year of the production press checkering). During my initial
orientation I got to spend a day with Nick Kusmit one of the last of the
Winchester Custom Shop engravers (and an exceptional person). During the
late 1960's, early 1970's one of my co-workers collaborated on the
development of a production cut checkering process sufficiently economical
to finally eliminate the press checkering, to the considerable relief to all
who appreciated fine firearms.

John G has given you the keys to the mechanics of the process. It's not
magic. My advice is that checkering should be approached with love and
patience (and a well planned and tasteful paper pattern). I'd suggest first
presenting your fine gift to your son as its makers crafted it. After a
period of ownership that concentrates on the appreciation of fine wood/metal
craftsmanship, safe gun handling and the pure joy of sport shooting, then
see if the boy feels any desire to checker or otherwise customize it. Be
guided by his desires.

A little light reading:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...ering&aq=f&oq=

David Merrill

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
I've ordered a CZ Lux bolt action .22
http://www.cz-usa.com/product_detail.php?id=3 for my eleven year old
for Christmas.

The specs and the reportage on this piece are excellent but it has one
funny elision. It is checkered on the grip but not on the forearm.

Well, you know, that just won't do.

I think that I have a decent read on how to go about this with the
carving tools that I have in hand but - I'm not a gunsmith. Does this
way madness lie?

I figured to lay it out and cut to the bevel on the layout lines - but
what do I know?

Do you guys have a clue as to how this is usually done?

tom

Regards,

Tom Watson
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/