Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
andy andy is offline

Default How to cut a 1/4" slot through a 1-1/4" rod?

On Dec 8, 6:52*pm, Ned Simmons wrote:
On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 15:25:43 -0800 (PST), andy

wrote:
Hi folks:
I am trying to make a skeg-mount rudder for a lobsterboat.
the rudder is made from a 1/4" thick piece of 316 stainless steel.
The rudder stock (shaft) is 1-1/4" diameter 316 stainless steel rod,
cut into two pieces and slotted to accept the rudder plate which is
then welded in. *

It'd be much easier to cut rectangular slots in the rudder to accept
the ends of the stub shafts, and it seems to me would accomplish
exactly the same thing. I wouldn't consider slotting the shafts unless
it's absolutely necessary.

--
Ned Simmons

Ned/Bruce:
Wow! I'm glad I asked. I wouldn't have thought of that approach.
I guess I was thinking (incorrectly) that you modify the less
expensive piece of stock to accomodate the more expensive.
Your way is certainly easier, and can be done with my own gear.

In my head, it would easier to line everything up using the slotted
shaft approach. But if it is 5x the work then the slotted plate
method is looking better and better.

Thanks for the help!
Andy