Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default How to cut a 1/4" slot through a 1-1/4" rod?

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008 15:25:43 -0800 (PST), andy
wrote:

Hi folks:
I am trying to make a skeg-mount rudder for a lobsterboat.
the rudder is made from a 1/4" thick piece of 316 stainless steel.
The rudder stock (shaft) is 1-1/4" diameter 316 stainless steel rod,
cut into two pieces and slotted to accept the rudder plate which is
then welded in.

It'd be much easier to cut rectangular slots in the rudder to accept
the ends of the stub shafts, and it seems to me would accomplish
exactly the same thing. I wouldn't consider slotting the shafts unless
it's absolutely necessary.

--
Ned Simmons