Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_3_] Steve W.[_3_] is offline

Default yet another topic not totally about Cleaning morse taperin headstock

Bill Noble wrote:
" so, here is a new project for those who are inventive and knowlegable.

I know most of the online stuff uses injector cleaner. The problem is
that injector cleaner isn't designed for true carbon deposits.
What you want is GM top cylinder cleaner. It is made to dissolve carbon.

It is the same problem that the 4.3 and a couple other GM engines have.
The carbon builds up and a chunk breaks loose and blocks the passages. I
use the top cylinder cleaner once a year to clear out the crud on my own
vehicles and it is one of the things I use in the shop for the same
reason. The stuff actually works.

I can count the chemicals in the shop that work as advertised on both
hands. Many of them are crap.
However Sea Foam, GM top cylinder cleaner, Break Free, and Techron
injector cleaner have FAR exceeded what the claims are in my experience.

On the subject of brushes it sounds like you have specific uses as well.
In your case you can only reach one end so a flexible twisted wire brush
would be good. Look at the brushes sold to clean out spray guns.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

so, what is Sea Foam good for? I have a car that is painted Sea Foam Green,
so I have a natrual tendancy to think
of it as just green paint

thanks for the tip on top cleaner, I'll see if I can find som

Sea Foam is a great cleaner for small engines and 2 strokes. It also
works as a fuel system cleaner. Not cheap but it has cleaned deposits
that nothing else touched.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York