Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default yet another topic not totally about Cleaning morse taper in headstock

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 13:01:33 -0800, "Bill Noble"
wrote:

Cross section on the passages would be about 1". Sounds like they may
work well. The EGR tubes run from 3/8" up to 3/4" on those I would love
to find a brush similar to a bore snake only using stainless bristles
and having more bristle sections. I made up one out of bore brushes
attached by small chain. It worked good and was easy to clean. BUT to
have made one in each size would have been expensive. If you can't
picture it think of a set of 4 chimney brushes connected with chains.
Just a lot smaller.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York

speaking of cleaning bores - if there was a way to clean the air injection
ports on my 993 with some kind of cool brush like thing, that would be a
great boon - and it would be something that could be sold widely - these
cars are infamous for having carbon block the ports, leading to a MIL light
and then (if you are the typical "clean hands" type owner), a $10,000
service charge to pull engine, pull heads, and rebuild.

the ports are between 3/16 and 1/4 inch in diameter and are above the valve
stems, so you can see them (barely) once the exhaust manifold is pulled.
they go into passages cast in the head and the carbon builds up in these
twisty little passages. There are FAQs on the web about how to clean using
injector cleaner, but this is not totally effective.

There is access by going up into the ports (around the valve stem), and
there is an aprox 3/8 ID tube that carries air into the heads for
injection - but I have no idea what the internals of the passages in the
heads look like. the "mini-snakes" I have been able to build won't clean it
out, though on occasion high pressure air and enough solvent will.

here is a link to a FAQ about this with some photos that may help explain
http://p-car.com/diy/sai/1/sai.htm
http://www.systemsc.com/pictures.htm
http://66.236.61.177/showthread.php?t=313946
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sQYi3iCMw4

It appears that these guys
http://www.turbowerx.com/Diagnostics...iagnostic.html
must have tried to develop a software way to bypass the SAI monitoring -
sure looks like they got shut down by EPA

so, here is a new project for those who are inventive and knowlegable.

Consider
http://www.slip2000.com/carbonkiller.html
This stuff dissolves carbon RFN. Don't know if it's suitable for
engine passages but it works amazingly well on guns.