Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Washer/dryer as dryer only

BigWallop wrote:
"uncertainsmile" wrote in message
Hi could someone please tell me if I run a washer/dryer as a dryer
only, do I still need both hot and cold connections to the rear? Can I
take both of them off? Thanks to any replies.

Jon

Very inefficient. Very expensive in running costs. The small heater
elements in all washer dryers don't last very long. The whole machine,
because they are un-vented, clogs with fluff unless you have a water spray
to clear the air cavity out.

A washer dryer has to be connected to at least the cold water system so that
the air cavity is flushed and pumped out on a regular basis. When the dryer
is doing its thing, it makes the clothes give off fluff at an amazing rate,
just like a normal tumble dryer, but the washer dryer doesn't have a big
vent hole which clears the fluff into the area you have the vent pointed at.
The machine actually uses a spray action to clear the air of fluff so it
doesn't clog up. The water washes the fluff down into a sump bottle and is
then pumped out as a sludge of water and fluff, down the drain.

Just using the machine as a dryer will cost a fortune because the element is
so small and the drying action on the tumble cycle is very poor. It takes
twice as long to tumble dry a full load of clothes than in a standard tumble
dryer, and so costs twice as much in running costs.

how does half the power for twice as long equal twice the run cost?

To me, it is not a thing I would recommend anyone to use, or even buy in the
first place for that matter. If you want or need a washer dryer system, buy
separate units and stack them together in a corner of the room. Throw the
vent hose out of a window when you use the dryer. It's a lot more
economical.

Not at all - but yes, theyre a poor relative.

NT