Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default About finding stuff in the shop; Real machinists need pay no attention.

On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 01:21:56 -0500, the infamous Gerald Miller
scrawled the following:

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 21:26:19 -0800, "Paul Hovnanian P.E."
wrote:

Jim Wilkins wrote:

[snip]

I tried to outline tools on a pegboard at home and gave up quickly,
not enough wall space. My pegboards are half a dozen tools deep on
each peg. It makes a lot more sense in an open school/company shop, so
the person in "charge", me, knows when something has been borrowed and
can point at the space and shrug when someone else wants it. There was
no way a lowly lab tech could enforce rules or a signout sheet on
Ph.D.'s

A friend of mine outfitted his shop with a large pegboard wall with
hooks and silhouettes of each tool attached to its assigned place.

He claims that its the best system to use when one has a couple of
teenage boys, as he can take one look at all the markings on the
pegboard and know exactly how many tools he used to have.

Yeahbut whatdyado when each hook has three or more items hung on it?

I think you missed the point, Gerry. The pegboard tools are all for
the kids. You keep the REAL tools locked up in your good tool boxes
where they can't be used as hammers, prybars, paint stirrers, etc.

As to what to do, lock the garage door the next time the perp enters
it and tell them that they can come out only after the tools are
returned to their proper spots.

--
Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across
thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.