Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default OT latest eBay shakeup

I was watching to see if anyone commented on having a store, but haven't
seen any replies.

At one time, the stores were free (or nearly), and recently, a friend had
said they are fairly costly now. Fees in layers, essentially, which is
another similarity to taxes.

Store items initially weren't included in general search results. Then store
items were included in search results, and the fees started stacking up.

I haven't been selling in several years, and I'm not inclined to start,
although I would have been selling all along if there weren't so many
regularly added restrictions, rules (oh, policies) and fees.

My most outrageously profitable sales were items bought on, and later resold
on eBay.
I'm talking hilariously wild profits with buyers that were happy to get such
a good deal (not deceiving suckers into buying crap). Fairly common items,
not rare art/coins etc, and not dumpster recovery.
Looking up information for descriptions (if needed), good pictures and
detailed descriptions were a bit tedious at times, but not hard work (mouse
keyboard stuff, sitting in a chair at a desk). I wasn't out working hard to
find stuff.

I wasn't loose with word meanings or stretch/embelish/bull****/lie about the
condition of stuff, like many sellers do.
I wasn't following any sales program or particularly talented, and didn't
know anything that wasn't more-or-less common sense. I presented enough
honest information so the buyer could know what to expect when they opened
the box, without any disappointment (and sometimes a bonus of a couple extra
items, which goes a long way toward having a happy buyer - added value, who
doesn't appreciate that?).

I've been tellin folks for many years that the US is the land of surplus
(has been, since at least the post-WWII era). Connect that supply to the
most overindulgent buyers on earth, and see if you can loose money.

I wonder if most folks get more than 5% interest on their savings accounts.
The rational expectation of 100-1000% anywhere, by legal means may seem
idiotic, until it's experienced.
I know $2 can become $30, $40, $400 and $50, $2000 fairly easily and fairly
quickly (not having it sit in an eBay store for 3 months to years, waiting
for someone desperate enough to pay a stupid price for it).

Ebay was an avenue to great potential for opportunity at one time, maybe
something more reasonable will start up. Yahoo tried it for a while, I don't
know how long it lasted. There are many other places to sell stuff online,
but the sheer numbers of drooling, itchy buyers of eBay probably won't be
matched for quite a while.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:35:04 -0500, the infamous "Wild_Bill"
scrawled the following:

I've encountered many more problems recently as a buyer, than I did when I
was selling (quite a while ago). The main problem lately is sellers
stating
something is new, only to find out it's just a used POS, sometimes with
accessories missing.

Ooh, that sucks. Other than a few items (out of close to 300
purchases) I've had very good luck with product condition and
description.

There was the broken handle on a hand plane (in 2 pieces, not "slight
crack" as she stated, and she then negged me after I 'neutraled' her),
a corroded mister, and this recent broken CD. I got refunds on the
latter two and wrote off the first as a bitch on wheels.

The main issue I have with forced PayPal payments (other than being
forced)
is that this change guarantees that eBay gets paid twice for every
transaction, once for the sale of the item and again for the payment
(including a percentage of the shipping/handling costs).

Yeah, I wasn't too comfy with that turn of events, either. Too
monopolous. The recent raise in fees across the board didn't help win
them any friend, either.

All the small sellers, which are the ones out finding the really
interesting
stuff to sell on eBay, are getting properly fuct.

I ordered a book (or thought I did) last week and then found out that
it was an ebook, not paper. I immediately cancelled the sale but the
seller had been too quick. He packed it and mailed it within 20
minutes of my purchasr. Anyway, he said it was OK to return it and
he'd give all my money back, including original shipping fees, if I
returned it. The disc arrived broken and, very professionally, he
simply told me to toss it and he refunded my money.

A question about today's eBay Stores: I have some items to sell
online. Is the $9.95/mo store worth the price? 20 at a time is OK by
me. Who's using their store nowadays and how do you like it?

--
The only difference between a rut and a grave...is in their dimensions.
-- Ellen Glasglow