Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] pdrahn@coinet.com is offline

Default Cleaning morse taper in headstock

On Dec 5, 7:29*pm, Ignoramus6679
wrote:
Thanks to Steve's, he lent me a MT5 test bar. It fits into MT5 opening
in the spindle. My problem is that there is some sort of crud (or
rust) in it and the bar does not seem to be well aligned. So I would
like to remove that crud by some non-intrusive means, any ideas how I can do
it without runing the accuracy potential of the spindle.

I guess I would use a piece of wood and see it I could scrape out
enough of whatever it is on the wood to determine what it really is.
Obviously it is not coming out on any tooling you have used, so is
pretty hard.

I am guessing his is on a lathe, so is probably swarf that was locked
in by another MT5 tool.

Anyway a wooden broom handle or other wood dowel should be your first
choice to try to clear the problem.

Paul