Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Dunning Mark Dunning is offline

Default About finding stuff in the shop; Real machinists need pay no attention.

wrote in message
On Dec 2, 3:10 am, spaco wrote:
I don't have a very big shop, but I spend 'way too much time looking
around for this or that tool when I need it.

The reason I tell you this: On Saturday, I had to finish a rather
finicky job and I used the list no less than 4 times! I'll bet I saved
myself at least 20 minutes.

I am satisfied that this is "a good thing",
But, if anybody on this NG has a better idea, I am open to it.

Pete Stanaitis

Nope, your on your own on this one - the shop situation usually
reflects the rest of your life, because if you are a highly organised
person, then you wouldn't be asking this question.

The ideal, fantastic, machinists erotic dream is to have a storeman,
who checks things in and out, organises consumerables, replaces broken
tooling, has every item in the size you need, and cleans and oils your
machines at the end of the day.... The trade off is their nearly
always grumpy *******s cause they have to put up with you being slack
and hopeless and disorganised.... (apprentices take some time to
recognise that you NEVER atagonise the storeman, as he can make your
life absolute hell with very little effort on his part. You must
remember Xmas, and preferably his birthday as well, and take keen
interest in pictures of his grandchildren....)

Yep, Total Fantasy - the real world, mm, yes - a bit different, as
follows....

My shop - totally chaotic, have a vague idea where "some" things are -
the measuring tools in their own drawer, the rest.......have started
buying small plastic boxes, the 3 for $2 kind, they stack easy, label
them with a dymo machine, even built their own shelves for
them.....one day, I will finish cleaning up and sorting and actually
put things in them.....(hey, theres so many more interesting things to
do....)

One method that has a at least 95% chance of finding the "lost" tool
is to start a methodical clean up, starting with the workbench,
putting things back into racks/pegboard etc,spreading ever wider until
you find it. If your "sorta lucky" you will get to clean and wipe down
your benches just before you find said lost item. (then you can stop,
until the next lost tool crisis......) Oh, and the swarf tray under
the lathe is the LAST place you look - not because it is not likely to
be in there, its just a pig of a job.

A fatal thing to do is randomly stuff tools, consumerables wherever
they can fit at the time. Especially in unmarked boxes, or plastic
crates under the bench - you will have to do serious excavation to
find anything, complicated by being in the wrong section in the first
place....and get sidetracked by finding decoy items as you go...

The most deadly of all is to have something in your hand when the
phone rings - you will have no conscious memory of putting it down, so
theres no chance of finding it. Plus, small items ABSOLUTELY hate
light, they will try to scurry under benches and into dark corners
behind usually bloody heavy and hard to move items.

So. There. Didn't give you a solution, just telling it like it is. If
your a machinist for a living, either an employee or working for
yourself - your correct, its not a problem. Because if it was a
problem, your employer, or you, would go bust.

Hey, if its been chaotic for you for eons, it aint going to change -
think of some ways to make it easier, rather than the moon shot of
total re-organisation.

Remember, its only a hobby, its only a hobby, its only a hobby.

(and I have managed to waste 20 minutes writing all this, still have
boxes of "Junque" to sort out, and jobs to do.....if I can find the
right bit of aluminium I "know" is in here somewhere, I distinctly
remember saying to myself "mm, this will come in useful one day,
better keep it..."

Andrew VK3BFA.

The technique I use is the Point-to point pickup.

When all else fails and there's No Fxxking Way I can spend another 3 minutes
looking for ...Part X or ...Tool Y, I start cleaning.

Pick up the most egregious offense to neat and orderly, and carefully return
it to where it needs to really be. Pick up the next close offender and
return it to its designated resting place. and the next worst and the next
worst and so on.

Pretty soon I'm back to semi organized and sorta tidy.

Keeping an eye open whilst doing the above usually finds the necessary tool
or part ....eventually.

If not i buy a new one and the old one majically appears after the new one
arrives.

Mark