Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
Peter Hucker Peter Hucker is offline

Default RFID chips

On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 12:11:14 -0000, Periproct wrote:

"Peter Hucker" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 19:21:31 -0000, Eeyore
wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

Ours dont look like either of those, it`s just a flat disk.
Ah it`s like the last example at http://www.g6phf.co.uk/site/?p=63
That page wouldn`t open for me at first

Ah yes, the thin one.

I just checked my wheelie bins. They've just introduced them here (St
Albans) a black one and a green one. No RFIDS in the circular cut-out
in
those.

I did hear somewhere that one council has given up on using them
because
they were unreliable and the crews had to keep manually entering nul
values, slowing down the collections !

Surely the system could just enter no result if it can't read it?

Apparently no-one was clever enough to think of that. Maybe the idea was
for the binmen to
estimate the weight ? They don't have the time so they enter zero
instead.

Surely the weight is measured by the lifting arm and would always work.
The RFID chip is for determining the owner of the bin.

Which would only work if the binmen always returned the bin to the same
house. Mine do seem to manage to do that though. How about a comunity scheme
where everybody swaps bins a few houses to the right every week?

Ours are always returned to the correct owner. Most people paint their house number on it! I don't bother as a bin is a bin and we don't have a weighing system.

My neighbour gets annoyed if I put them the wrong way round though (our driveways are next to each other so we wheel each others up and down), as he keeps his clean and I don't!

What is the first thing a blonde learns when she takes driving lessons?
You can also sit upright in a car.