Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Default RFID chips

Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On 2008-11-30, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .

try a high power RF source like a microwave oven, or an EMP.

high(ish) temperatures may work too, I've seen some tags
fail at as little as 100C,but these were ISO15693 tags (VHF)
but I expect you are more interested in ISO18000 tags (UHF)
which use dipoles instead of coils, but should still be
succeptable to sufficient power.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Sjouke Burry wrote:

Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .

Until I saw who it was from I wondered if you were planning on theiving
goods from stores ! ;~)

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On 2008-11-30, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .

try a high power RF source like a microwave oven, or an EMP.

high(ish) temperatures may work too, I've seen some tags
fail at as little as 100C,but these were ISO15693 tags (VHF)
but I expect you are more interested in ISO18000 tags (UHF)
which use dipoles instead of coils, but should still be
succeptable to sufficient power.

I've never really looked at one but might a huge ESD blast do the job too ?

Physically hitting with a hammer might be effective as well.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On 2008-11-30, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .

try a high power RF source like a microwave oven, or an EMP.

high(ish) temperatures may work too, I've seen some tags
fail at as little as 100C,but these were ISO15693 tags (VHF)
but I expect you are more interested in ISO18000 tags (UHF)
which use dipoles instead of coils, but should still be
succeptable to sufficient power.

I've never really looked at one but might a huge ESD blast do the job too ?

Physically hitting with a hammer might be effective as well.

I`ve been told that a blast from an electronic photographic flashgun in
close proximity works - Havent tried it tho, the ones origially hidden
in our wheelie bins seem to be missing

Ron

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

I`ve been told that a blast from an electronic photographic flashgun
in close proximity works. Haven't tried it though. The ones originally
hidden in our wheelie bins seem to be missing.

Not likely. If the EMP were strong enough to destroy electronics, it would
probably burn the skin.

I detect a note of -- arguably justifiable -- paranoia in the original post.

Instead of worrying about RFIDs in general, one should pay attention to
where they are actually used, and tale appropriate steps to protect oneself.
For example, RFIDs in debit cards can be read at some distance, so you might
decide not to have one at all, or to wrap the card in a fold of aluminum
foil when you're not using it.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I`ve been told that a blast from an electronic photographic flashgun
in close proximity works. Haven't tried it though. The ones originally
hidden in our wheelie bins seem to be missing.

Not likely. If the EMP were strong enough to destroy electronics, it would
probably burn the skin.

I detect a note of -- arguably justifiable -- paranoia in the original post.

Instead of worrying about RFIDs in general, one should pay attention to
where they are actually used, and tale appropriate steps to protect oneself.
For example, RFIDs in debit cards can be read at some distance, so you might
decide not to have one at all, or to wrap the card in a fold of aluminum
foil when you're not using it.

Aluminium wallets !

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 04:50:25 +0100, Sjouke Burry
wrote:

Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .

You mean they interfere with your shoplifting? I suppose you want this
device to be portable and easy to carry hidden, right?
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:54:50 -0000, William Sommerwerck wrote:

I`ve been told that a blast from an electronic photographic flashgun
in close proximity works. Haven't tried it though. The ones originally
hidden in our wheelie bins seem to be missing.

Not likely. If the EMP were strong enough to destroy electronics, it would
probably burn the skin.

I detect a note of -- arguably justifiable -- paranoia in the original post.

In wheelybins it's justifiable to want rid of them. They cause the council to charge you fo your rubbish!

He was so unlucky . . .
Last week, his inflatable doll ran off with his airbag.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 03:50:25 -0000, Sjouke Burry wrote:

Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .

God forbid a shop could find out where I live....

Why is Michael Jackson's album entitled "Bad?"
Because he couldn't spell "Pathetic."

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On 2008-11-30, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .
try a high power RF source like a microwave oven, or an EMP.

high(ish) temperatures may work too, I've seen some tags
fail at as little as 100C,but these were ISO15693 tags (VHF)
but I expect you are more interested in ISO18000 tags (UHF)
which use dipoles instead of coils, but should still be
succeptable to sufficient power.

I've never really looked at one but might a huge ESD blast do the job too ?

Physically hitting with a hammer might be effective as well.

I`ve been told that a blast from an electronic photographic flashgun in
close proximity works - Havent tried it tho, the ones origially hidden
in our wheelie bins seem to be missing

How do you find them, or was it obvious ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Eeyore wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Jasen Betts wrote:
On 2008-11-30, Sjouke Burry wrote:
[...]

In a circular recess under the rim at the front, it`s a circular disk of
plastic about as big as a two penny piece.

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Eeyore wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Jasen Betts wrote:
On 2008-11-30, Sjouke Burry wrote:
[...]

Google as ever has the answer.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/28/r...-wheelie-bins/

http://www.binchip.co.za/
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...makeover.phtml

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...rnment.science
http://www.g6phf.co.uk/site/?p=63

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Eeyore wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Jasen Betts wrote:
On 2008-11-30, Sjouke Burry wrote:
[...]

Ours dont look like either of those, it`s just a flat disk.

Ron(UK)
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Ron Johnson wrote:

Ours dont look like either of those, it`s just a flat disk.

Ah it`s like the last example at http://www.g6phf.co.uk/site/?p=63
That page wouldn`t open for me at first

Ron(UK)

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Ron Johnson wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

Ours dont look like either of those, it`s just a flat disk.

Ah it`s like the last example at http://www.g6phf.co.uk/site/?p=63
That page wouldn`t open for me at first

Ah yes, the thin one.

I just checked my wheelie bins. They've just introduced them here (St
Albans) a black one and a green one. No RFIDS in the circular cut-out in
those.

I did hear somewhere that one council has given up on using them because
they were unreliable and the crews had to keep manually entering nul
values, slowing down the collections !

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Sjouke Burry wrote:

Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?

Given that they have receiver coils, I dare say they could be
overloaded.

This site gives a manufacturer and operating frequency.
http://www.g6phf.co.uk/site/?p=63

The tag you have found is a 125KHz read only LF tag manufactured by a
Swiss company called Sokymat and uses a chip made by EmMarin, part
number EM4102. This has a 40 bit unique number laser written to the chip
at manufacture. The read range is only a few CM, so you won’t oick
anything up from it using ham gear.

It must get power somehow though and I bet you could overvolt that !

http://www.cyntag.com/
Also
http://www.binchip.co.za/
http://www.trossenrobotics.com/store...x?feed=Froogle

http://www.emmicroelectronic.com/web.../EM4102_DS.pdf

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Eeyore wrote:

http://www.emmicroelectronic.com/web.../EM4102_DS.pdf

*) The AC Voltage on Coil is limited by the on chip voltage
limitation circuitry. This is according to the parameter Icoil
in the absolute maximum ratings.

Absolute Maximum Ratings
Maximum DC Current forced on COIL1 & COIL2 ICOIL ±30mA
Power Supply VDD -0.3 to 7.5V

AC Voltage on Coil Min 3 Typ 14. Vpk-pk

L: typical 20.8mH for fo = 125kHz

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 17:34:54 -0000, Eeyore wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

Ours dont look like either of those, it`s just a flat disk.

Ah it`s like the last example at http://www.g6phf.co.uk/site/?p=63
That page wouldn`t open for me at first

Ah yes, the thin one.

I just checked my wheelie bins. They've just introduced them here (St
Albans) a black one and a green one. No RFIDS in the circular cut-out in
those.

I did hear somewhere that one council has given up on using them because
they were unreliable and the crews had to keep manually entering nul
values, slowing down the collections !

Surely the system could just enter no result if it can't read it?

Earth is 98% full, please delete anyone you can.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Peter Hucker wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

Ours dont look like either of those, it`s just a flat disk.
Ah it`s like the last example at http://www.g6phf.co.uk/site/?p=63
That page wouldn`t open for me at first

Ah yes, the thin one.

I just checked my wheelie bins. They've just introduced them here (St
Albans) a black one and a green one. No RFIDS in the circular cut-out in
those.

I did hear somewhere that one council has given up on using them because
they were unreliable and the crews had to keep manually entering nul
values, slowing down the collections !

Surely the system could just enter no result if it can't read it?

Apparently no-one was clever enough to think of that. Maybe the idea was for the binmen to
estimate the weight ? They don't have the time so they enter zero instead.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Eeyore wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

http://www.emmicroelectronic.com/web.../EM4102_DS.pdf

*) The AC Voltage on Coil is limited by the on chip voltage
limitation circuitry. This is according to the parameter Icoil
in the absolute maximum ratings.

Absolute Maximum Ratings
Maximum DC Current forced on COIL1 & COIL2 ICOIL ±30mA
Power Supply VDD -0.3 to 7.5V

AC Voltage on Coil Min 3 Typ 14. Vpk-pk

L: typical 20.8mH for fo = 125kHz

Hmmmm.......... 125kHz is below the frequency where mandatory EMC specs apply
(150kHz).

I suspect you could build and sell a legal 'zapper'.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 19:21:31 -0000, Eeyore wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

Ours dont look like either of those, it`s just a flat disk.
Ah it`s like the last example at http://www.g6phf.co.uk/site/?p=63
That page wouldn`t open for me at first

Ah yes, the thin one.

I just checked my wheelie bins. They've just introduced them here (St
Albans) a black one and a green one. No RFIDS in the circular cut-out in
those.

I did hear somewhere that one council has given up on using them because
they were unreliable and the crews had to keep manually entering nul
values, slowing down the collections !

Surely the system could just enter no result if it can't read it?

Apparently no-one was clever enough to think of that. Maybe the idea was for the binmen to
estimate the weight ? They don't have the time so they enter zero instead.

Surely the weight is measured by the lifting arm and would always work. The RFID chip is for determining the owner of the bin.

What's red and sits in the corner?
A baby chewing on razor blades.

What's blue and sits in the corner?
A baby in a plastic bag.

What's green and sits in the corner?
The same baby a month later.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Sjouke Burry wrote in message
Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .

The simplest zapper is a kitchen piezo gas lighter slightly adapted

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Peter Hucker wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Peter Hucker wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

Silly me. Misreporting at fault there. So I suppose they had to enter the street address.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

N_Cook wrote:

Sjouke Burry wrote

Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .

The simplest zapper is a kitchen piezo gas lighter slightly adapted

And you know this how ? ;~)

The data does say the ESD limit is 2 kV.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 20:33:12 -0000, Eeyore wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Peter Hucker wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

I doubt a binman is capable of such a thing.

I consider exercise vulgar. It makes people smell.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Peter Hucker wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Peter Hucker wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Peter Hucker wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

Hence the delays ! I gather a councillor actually went out on a round with them to confirm all this. Astonishing for one of our
elected representatives to do anything so resourceful ! Of course maybe it was because all the RFID tags had been removed / zapped ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 19:24:00 +0000, Eeyore wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

http://www.emmicroelectronic.com/web.../EM4102_DS.pdf

*) The AC Voltage on Coil is limited by the on chip voltage
limitation circuitry. This is according to the parameter Icoil
in the absolute maximum ratings.

Absolute Maximum Ratings
Maximum DC Current forced on COIL1 & COIL2 ICOIL ?30mA
Power Supply VDD -0.3 to 7.5V

AC Voltage on Coil Min 3 Typ 14. Vpk-pk

L: typical 20.8mH for fo = 125kHz

Hmmmm.......... 125kHz is below the frequency where mandatory EMC specs apply
(150kHz).

I suspect you could build and sell a legal 'zapper'.

I suspect that 15 seconds in a microwave oven would render it useless.

Now, then, what about the RFID chips that the manufacturers have been
putting in the heels of your shoes, the linings of your coats and
jackets, in the front and rear bumpers of your cars, etc., usw.?

Jonesy -- always microwaves his new shoes...
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On 2008-12-01, Eeyore wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

Ours dont look like either of those, it`s just a flat disk.

Ah it`s like the last example at http://www.g6phf.co.uk/site/?p=63
That page wouldn`t open for me at first

Ah yes, the thin one.

I just checked my wheelie bins. They've just introduced them here (St
Albans) a black one and a green one. No RFIDS in the circular cut-out in
those.

I did hear somewhere that one council has given up on using them because
they were unreliable and the crews had to keep manually entering nul
values, slowing down the collections !

that probably meant the binmen had to fill in the blanks when the RFID
fails (due to lost/damaged/defective RFID token)

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On 2008-12-01, Eeyore wrote:

N_Cook wrote:

Sjouke Burry wrote

Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .

The simplest zapper is a kitchen piezo gas lighter slightly adapted

And you know this how ? ;~)

The data does say the ESD limit is 2 kV.

turn the lighter into a spark-gap transmitter
mini-emp.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 21:18:49 -0000, Eeyore wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Peter Hucker wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Peter Hucker wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

I want to see the look of dismay as he realised his spying plan was going down the drain.

A nun and a priest were crossing the Sahara desert on a camel.
On the third day out the camel suddenly dropped dead without warning.
After dusting themselves off, the nun and the priest surveyed their situation.
After a long period of silence, the priest spoke. "Well, sister, this looks pretty grim."
"I know, father. In fact, I don't think it likely that we can survive more than a day or two."
"I agree", says the Father, "Sister, since we are unlikely to make it out of here alive, would you do something for me?"
"Anything, Father."
"I have never seen a woman's breasts and I was wondering if I might see yours."
"Well, under the circumstances I don't see that it would do any harm."
The nun opened her habit and the priest enjoyed the sight of her shapely breasts, commenting frequently on their beauty.
"Sister, would you mind if I touched them? She consented and he fondled them for several minutes.
"Father, could I ask something of you?"
"Yes, Sister?"
"I have never seen a man's penis. Could I see yours?"
"I suppose that would be OK," the priest replied lifting his robe.
"Oh Father, may I touch it?" The priest consented and after a few minutes of fondling he was sporting a huge erection.
"Sister, you know that if I insert my penis in the right place, it can give life."
"Is that true father?"
"Yes, it is, Sister."
"Oh Father that's wonderful, stick it in the camel and let's get the hell out of here.
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

Eeyore wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

[...]

DO NOT EVER microwave a pair of shoes you have been wearing. Imagine smelly feet multiplied by about 500.

Hot Tub Tips for Women

It is not lady like to straddle a water jet, moan in ecstasy, then
scream at the top of your lungs, "Oh yes baby!"

Washing your partners back is sexy. Washing your pantyhose
is not!

Group nude bathing with strangers can be a pleasant experience,
but don't spoil things by making snide remarks like "I've seen bigger
wangs on Hamsters"

It's OK to pass a joint while tubbing. It's not OK to pass gas.

Don't think you're fooling anybody by trying to pass off your vibrator
as a toy submarine!
Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

news
wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

Which would only work if the binmen always returned the bin to the same
house. Mine do seem to manage to do that though. How about a comunity scheme
where everybody swaps bins a few houses to the right every week?

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

wrote:

Peter Hucker wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

Ours are always returned to the correct owner. Most people paint their house number on it! I don't bother as a bin is a bin and we don't have a weighing system.

My neighbour gets annoyed if I put them the wrong way round though (our driveways are next to each other so we wheel each others up and down), as he keeps his clean and I don't!

What is the first thing a blonde learns when she takes driving lessons?
You can also sit upright in a car.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On 2008-12-01, Eeyore wrote:

N_Cook wrote:

Sjouke Burry wrote

Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .

The simplest zapper is a kitchen piezo gas lighter slightly adapted

And you know this how ? ;~)

The data does say the ESD limit is 2 kV.

turn the lighter into a spark-gap transmitter
mini-emp.

I was thinking car CDI powered by a SLA battery and triggered by a 555
astable.

Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc

On 2008-12-01, Eeyore wrote:

N_Cook wrote:

Sjouke Burry wrote

Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .

The simplest zapper is a kitchen piezo gas lighter slightly adapted

And you know this how ? ;~)

The data does say the ESD limit is 2 kV.

turn the lighter into a spark-gap transmitter
mini-emp.

I was thinking car CDI powered by a SLA battery and triggered by a 555
astable.

People have made a thing from the flash of a disposable camera with a little
coil.
http://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/s...(EN)_77f3.html
http://itp.nyu.edu/everybit/blog/media/rfid-zapper.pdf

If it won't damage the rest of the product then a few seconds in the
microwave oven would do the job too.

Chris

RFID tags...How do they work? [email protected] Electronics Repair 15 February 14th 08 06:05 AM
RFID FAQs - RFID Companies, Equipment, Medical ... market Electronics Repair 1 April 17th 07 06:09 AM
RFID Chips Sparks UK diy 8 October 27th 06 11:37 PM
RFID fob split, no more work Brian Electronics Repair 3 June 23rd 06 05:06 AM