Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
matthew maguire[_2_] matthew maguire[_2_] is offline

Default cast iron stove grate

Terry Coombs wrote:
In an old Bearcat potbelly stove . It's broke , and I'm pretty sure
brazing isn't the answer at the temps down there . This is the grate at the
bottom of the firebox , and if the stove gets red hot , damn sure that grate
is just as hot . The "shaker" (separate piece in the center of the grate ,
you shake it to drop the ashes into the bottom) is also broken . My wife
sez this thing has been in her family for quite some time , and she would
like it repaired and installed in our living room . I'm not so sure I want
that ash and soot spewing thing in the house , I'd rather use it out in the
shop .
Any suggestions ?

The trouble with old cast and heat is in time much of the iron burns out
and leaves an iron core with a surface of little iron and lots of carbon.

If you just want it for the value (antique), then try to stitch it with
7018 or 7014 (yea it'll "tick", "plink" and have some underbead
cracking). But it won't look the same, rust the same, etc.

If you want it fixed for strength then your stuck using bare cast rod
and O/A. Bare rod is available in grade 30 thru 60 and is tough for some
to use but it matches perfectly except for having a less porous surface
than the usual cast iron.

Matt