Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Up North[_2_] Up North[_2_] is offline

Default cast iron stove grate

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
anews.com...
is just as hot . The "shaker" (separate piece in the center of the grate
, you shake it to drop the ashes into the bottom) is also broken . My
wife

I broke this piece on my coal boiler at the old place...

I put the two cast iron halves in a fixture and milled two slots to insert
stainless steel rectangles on the bottom. 1/2" x 1" x 10" IIRC. I had a
pro weld the casting where it broke with the stainless in place. I used it
hard that way for 10 years. Told the fella that bought my house about the
repair 17 years ago. He's never been over for warranty work.

Now that I have a CNC mill and laser digitizer, I'd make the whole dang
piece out of stainless. Then it would last longer than this temp.
repair.G

Karl

Karl
Your laser digitizer sounds interesting. Please tell me more about it. I do
a lot of designs for my CNC plasma table by taking a photo of the part and
turning it into a .dxf file but accuracy suffers a little in the process and
I end up checking all the measurements if it is a critical part. Artwork
isn't too fussy but some of the machine and equipment parts I do need to be
right on.
Steve