Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RAM³ RAM³ is offline

Default About finding stuff in the shop; Real machinists need pay no attention.

spaco wrote in
:

I don't have a very big shop, but I spend 'way too much time looking
around for this or that tool when I need it.
I know pretty well where my favorite micrometer and dial caliper
are,
and the location of the most popular inserts that I use.
The trouble comes when I have to locate a piece of tooling or a
piece
of measuring equipment that I don't use all that often. The problem
is complicated by having cabinets and shelves both by the lathe and by
the mill, with some storage by the drill press, too. That's in
addition to the Kennedy 52611 chest that I got for Christmas last
year.
One other thing that I probably shouldn't admit to: Sometimes,
when
I can't find the thing I really should be using, I may make do with
something else, just because I don't want to go "on the hunt". This
practice can be a cause for poor quality, frustration and rework.

Soooooo---- I finally sat down and made a list of all of that kind
of
tool. (I put it on a spreadsheet, because I always do lists that
way).
Then, after alphabetizing the list and grouping similar items to
make
them easier to find on the list, I put a simple description of their
location next to each one. The list is general enough that it's only
one page long at this time---- I KNOW where the drill bits and the QC
tool holders are.
I wasn't very scientific about the locations, but I don't have to
be.
It's MY shop. ---No GPS-type coordinates.

The list lives in the lid of the Kennedy chest. I left room between
every entry, so I can add things as needed.

Examples:
------------
Reamers:
General: Brown (Kennedy chest) right,(side) 3(3rd small
Drawer) Over and Under: Brown, Large, 1, (1st Large drawer)

Mill tramming stuff: Brown, left, 1
: Over Mill, left, 3
------ The reason I tell you this: On Saturday, I had to finish a
rather finicky job and I used the list no less than 4 times! I'll bet
I saved myself at least 20 minutes.

I am satisfied that this is "a good thing",
But, if anybody on this NG has a better idea, I am open to it.

Pete Stanaitis

Get a labelmaker - I use a Dyno Letratag - and label the drawers.

The labels come off cleanly if you rearrange "stuff". g