Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default "How does a starter work" question.

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 05:51:32 -0800 (PST), stryped
wrote:

Update:

Hey,

I got it working last night by just lubig up the shaft. I have one
question though.

How close is "good enough" when dealing with an engine such as a
tiller like this in terms of the bore and crank journals being
perfect? I would like to attempt to rebuild it because I have never
doen so before but I dont have the measuring equipment to check those
two items. Can I go over the crank jhournal with 00 steel wool to
clean it up to see what it looks like? I noticed just visually it
looked ok, however there is a very small area of "material" that I
cant seem to get off. Like maybe it was aluminum left over from the
connecting rod?

I am just curious as to what level of preceision is needed for a
tiller that is only used ocassionally in the summer. But at the same
time I would not want to spend the time and effort and have the thing
blow up the first time I used it.

Any aluminum fused to the crankshaft can be removed with household
Lye. The rod bearing is part of the rod - get a new one. The
aluminum on the crank is from partial siezure of the bearing.

Deglaze the cyl and put in new rings - since you are putting in a new
rod, put in a new piston while you are at it.