Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Terry Coombs Terry Coombs is offline

Default cast iron stove grate

Karl Townsend wrote:
is just as hot . The "shaker" (separate piece in the center of the
grate , you shake it to drop the ashes into the bottom) is also
broken . My wife

I broke this piece on my coal boiler at the old place...

I put the two cast iron halves in a fixture and milled two slots to
insert stainless steel rectangles on the bottom. 1/2" x 1" x 10"
IIRC. I had a pro weld the casting where it broke with the stainless
in place. I used it hard that way for 10 years. Told the fella that
bought my house about the repair 17 years ago. He's never been over
for warranty work.
Now that I have a CNC mill and laser digitizer, I'd make the whole
dang piece out of stainless. Then it would last longer than this
temp. repair.G
Karl

As small as it is , no way I can repair it like you did . Guess I'll just
have to make it into a lamp or something as Bill suggested . Oh well ...
--
Snag
sometimes ya gotta