Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default cast iron stove grate

is just as hot . The "shaker" (separate piece in the center of the grate ,
you shake it to drop the ashes into the bottom) is also broken . My wife

I broke this piece on my coal boiler at the old place...

I put the two cast iron halves in a fixture and milled two slots to insert
stainless steel rectangles on the bottom. 1/2" x 1" x 10" IIRC. I had a pro
weld the casting where it broke with the stainless in place. I used it hard
that way for 10 years. Told the fella that bought my house about the repair
17 years ago. He's never been over for warranty work.

Now that I have a CNC mill and laser digitizer, I'd make the whole dang
piece out of stainless. Then it would last longer than this temp. repair.G

Karl