Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default cast iron stove grate

You're correct, you don't want this relic in your house, and I'm fairly
certain that your insurance company doesn't want it in there either.

The ash dust and soot/smoke residue will be airborne and travel throughout
your living space. A couple of examples of problems would be CD and DVD
players/recorders. The additional ultrafine airborne contamination will
likely cause problems with more than just those two examples. You'll also be
breathing it.

When I was doing electronic service/repairs, you could always easily
distinguish a piece of equipment that came from a household with a fireplace
or wood stove.

I don't know if pellet fuel would be completely problem-free as far as
additional dust is concerned.

Saw the bottom off (or remove some of the center) and make a floor lamp or
end table outta the thing.
If it was in perfect condition, it would be a different matter as far as a
keepsake, or for antique value.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
In an old Bearcat potbelly stove . It's broke , and I'm pretty sure
brazing isn't the answer at the temps down there . This is the grate at
the bottom of the firebox , and if the stove gets red hot , damn sure that
grate is just as hot . The "shaker" (separate piece in the center of the
grate , you shake it to drop the ashes into the bottom) is also broken .
My wife sez this thing has been in her family for quite some time , and
she would like it repaired and installed in our living room . I'm not so
sure I want that ash and soot spewing thing in the house , I'd rather use
it out in the shop .
Any suggestions ?
--
Snag