Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_2_] stryped[_2_] is offline

Default Tecumseh starter/engine update

On Dec 2, 12:46*pm, David Billington
wrote:
stryped wrote:
On Dec 2, 10:41 am, Winston wrote:

stryped wrote:

(...)

What do you mean? I have the enigne in my garage. I fixed the starter
thanks to you guys help last night. I was hoping all I needed was a
connecting rod but I wanted everyone elses advice as to weather this
is a good idea or not. (To rebuild verses replace).

If you are *really* bored and need a long term hobby, by all means repair.

If you want to till soil, replace the motor.
As Karl said, make an adapter if necessary and git'er done.

--Winston

I wont need to "till soil" until summer but are you sayign this is a
waste of time?

By the way, to those who dont believe there are bearings, here is a
schematic:http://www.outdoordistributors.com/p...H-MODEL-H60-75...

They may *be imbedded in the rod, I dont know but I dont see any on
here like go in a car enigine.

Various aluminium alloys have been developed over the years which are
capable of *being fashioned into a conrod and have suitable
characteristics to act as a bearing so no bearing shells like you would
find in a car. For a non demanding app like the tiller engine the conrod
material does the job, it saves money.- Hide quoted text -

I am really struggeling with this one. To buy another engine or
rebuild. Cost is a major concern but so is my being able to "tinker"
with things. I wont need the tiller until summer, but I plan on having
a big garden including a pumpkin patch for the kids.

I found a 6.5 horse Briggs that will bolt up to the old tiller for 235
plus 20 bucks shipping. It does not have electric start though and the
throttle is on the engine.

I do like to tinker with things and even went to harbor freight over
thanksgiving and bought a cylinder hone and piston ring expander. It
was not too much.

Part of me wants to go for it and put a new rod, gasket and rings in
the old engine, paint it etc, a large part of me is afraid I would put
all that time and effort into it and it will throw a rod after the
first hour of using it.