Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
_[_2_] _[_2_] is offline

Default cast iron stove grate

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:08:38 -0600, Terry Coombs wrote:

In an old Bearcat potbelly stove . It's broke , and I'm pretty sure
brazing isn't the answer at the temps down there . This is the grate at the
bottom of the firebox , and if the stove gets red hot , damn sure that grate
is just as hot . The "shaker" (separate piece in the center of the grate ,
you shake it to drop the ashes into the bottom) is also broken . My wife
sez this thing has been in her family for quite some time , and she would
like it repaired and installed in our living room . I'm not so sure I want
that ash and soot spewing thing in the house , I'd rather use it out in the
shop .
Any suggestions ?

Get a new one made.
I found this with the google search string "lathe amish foundry cast iron":

------------------
I have had very good service from Cattail Foundry in Pennsylvania. I've
sent patterns and a check for something more than I expect it to cost and
received back the number of castings expected and change from the check.
It's in Amish country and difficult to reach by modern methods but mail
works well:

Cattail Foundry
Emanuel J. King
167 W. Cattail Road
Gordonville, PA 17659

I think that if you google "cattail foundry" that you'll find similar
positive comments, and he has experience in casting direct from the part
(it's not that hard as long as some shrinkage can be lived with or
accommodated in the ramming up).