Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
stryped[_2_] stryped[_2_] is offline

Default Tecumseh starter/engine update

On Dec 2, 8:18*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:4bc394f5-
:

How close is "good enough" when dealing with an engine such as a
tiller like this in terms of the bore and crank journals being
perfect? I would like to attempt to rebuild it because I have never
doen so before but I don't have the measuring equipment to check

those
two items.

Of course you do. *Go down to any automotive parts supplier and buy a
coil of "PlastiGauge" (maybe three, in different sizes). *You remove a
bearing cap, lay a strip of the plastic cord inside the cap, and clamp
it back on.

When you again remove it, you can compare the width of the crushed
plastic to the micrometer indices on the card supplied with the
PlastiGauge to determine your bearing clearance.

LLoyd

This engine uses no rod bearings I dont think and the rod that was in
it disintegrated at the bottom so there is not any "rod cap" left.