Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus14497 Ignoramus14497 is offline

Default About finding stuff in the shop; Real machinists need pay noattention.

On 2008-12-02, Michael Koblic wrote:
Jim Wilkins wrote:
On Dec 1, 11:25 am, Ignoramus14497 ignoramus14...@NOSPAM.
14497.invalid wrote:
What helps for me is to go through my stuff once in a while, open all
drawers and see what is there,. etc.

I do that before making the rounds of all the local second-hand
stores, to remember what I have and what I could use. It also reminds
me where everything is. I usually take a 4" dial caliper, a Morse 2
sleeve and a copy of my threaded lathe spindle.

And a magnet and a tape measure...
And my PDA with the listings of all the prices of stuff and the dealers.

I think that the worst in "shop management" is to lose control of what
you have, to forget that you have something, or being unable to find
it, and then having to buy one more piece. It is like death spiral.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/