Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default About finding stuff in the shop; Real machinists need pay noattention.

On Dec 1, 11:25*am, Ignoramus14497 ignoramus14...@NOSPAM.
14497.invalid wrote:
What helps for me is to go through my stuff once in a while, open all
drawers and see what is there,. etc.

I do that before making the rounds of all the local second-hand
stores, to remember what I have and what I could use. It also reminds
me where everything is. I usually take a 4" dial caliper, a Morse 2
sleeve and a copy of my threaded lathe spindle.

I tried to outline tools on a pegboard at home and gave up quickly,
not enough wall space. My pegboards are half a dozen tools deep on
each peg. It makes a lot more sense in an open school/company shop, so
the person in "charge", me, knows when something has been borrowed and
can point at the space and shrug when someone else wants it. There was
no way a lowly lab tech could enforce rules or a signout sheet on
Ph.D.'s

Jim Wilkins