Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.misc
Ron Johnson[_2_] Ron Johnson[_2_] is offline

Default RFID chips

Eeyore wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

On 2008-11-30, Sjouke Burry wrote:
Does anybody know of a way to de-active(blowup) RFID chips?
Can their receiver coils be overloaded?
Those things get added to all sorts of non-obvious things,
and start to interfere with our privacy .
try a high power RF source like a microwave oven, or an EMP.

high(ish) temperatures may work too, I've seen some tags
fail at as little as 100C,but these were ISO15693 tags (VHF)
but I expect you are more interested in ISO18000 tags (UHF)
which use dipoles instead of coils, but should still be
succeptable to sufficient power.
I've never really looked at one but might a huge ESD blast do the job too ?

Physically hitting with a hammer might be effective as well.
I`ve been told that a blast from an electronic photographic flashgun in
close proximity works - Havent tried it tho, the ones origially hidden
in our wheelie bins seem to be missing

How do you find them, or was it obvious ?

Google as ever has the answer.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/28/r...-wheelie-bins/

http://www.binchip.co.za/
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/ne...makeover.phtml

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environmen...rnment.science
http://www.g6phf.co.uk/site/?p=63

Graham

Ours dont look like either of those, it`s just a flat disk.

Ron(UK)