Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Chipboard floors

Slider wrote:
"Invisible Man" wrote in message
Slider wrote:
Hi

Need to sort out some creaking chipboard floors before having new carpets
laid. I think the creak is from the joint (tongue and groove) between two
boards. I am thinking about cutting the joint and just filling it with
PVA wood glue. Or, I may cut a patch out and refit adding some noggins
for support.

To do the cutting (either just the tongue/groove joint or take a section
out) I am thinking of buying a Bosch PMF-180 multi-tool. Don't want to
cut a hole and use a jigsaw and I am unsure of elec cables / CH pipes
etc.

Any thoughts?

I usually fix creaking by putting a few more fixing screws in. Should have
done so before our lounge diner carpet was laid. Keeps sounding like I am
f**ting as I walk through the double doors between the two rooms.

I already have put about a hundred chipboard screws in the floor, it's the
actual T&G joint that's causing the creak. Thinking if I break the joint
then glue it back up, should cure it.

My solution to this has been to get some heavy-duty polythene bin bags,
and cut them into long strips 2 or 3 inches wide, and then lay these
along the chipboard T&G joints before putting the boards down. In fact,
for the miniscule extra effort it caused, it was worth laying the strips
along the tops of the joists too! So every 'interface' was then
protected/'lubricated' by a layer of slippery polythene.

No more creaking, and no problems in future if I want to lift the boards
again.